Thursday, July 26, 2012

Tripura.. A sneak Peek..


I remember when I first came to Bangalore in 2004, people used to ask me "where are you from"?? When I replied "Tripura", 8 out of 10 people would ask me "where is it"?? and I had a tough time explaining....Even now, I come across people who ask me where it is, what's its speciality? What is it famous for? etc etc...

So, this is dedicated to all those people...

Tripura is a state in the Northeast India, and one of the Seven Sister States. Tripura is surrounded by Bangladesh on the north, south, and west. The Indian states of Assam and Mizoram lie to its east. The state capital is Agartala. A landlocked state, Tripura's geography is characterized by several north-south hill ranges with intervening valleys, and plain in the western part of the state.

Scheduled tribes are about 30% of the population in which Kokborok-speaking Tripuri people form the major tribe; Bengali people form the ethno-linguistic majority of the population. The mainstream Indian cultural elements led by Bengali culture coexists along with tribal traditional practices. (As ta ken from Wikipedia). If you search for Tripura in Wikipedia, you will actually see my picture (wearing the traditional dress) on the right hand side corner near the end of the page.. I'm famous you see.. :P

Some of the famous personalities of Tripura are listed below:

The famous music composer RD Burman, son of SD Burman who was also a renowned composer.

 Somdev DevVerman, professional Indian Tennis Player.

Sourabhee Debbarma, Indian Idol 5 winner 

                                                               
And then of course, ME.. hee hee hee... :) I'm also one among the famous personalities.. :)





No comments:

Post a Comment